Friday 23 January 2009

Yeah, but do we really give a shit?

Well, the Oscar nominations have been announced. I generally don't watch it, since it bores me to tears. Regardless, it's great to see some genuinely good nominations. I'd be very fucking surprised if they win, but sure that's the way it goes!

Firstly, great to see Ireland getting the nod with both In Bruges (Writing - Original Screenplay) and New Boy (Short Film - Live Action). I haven't seen the latter, but I really enjoyed the first.

I presume the betting is already closed on Sean Penn getting Best Actor for Milk. Haven't seen that either, but I have seen Frost/Nixon, and I think that Frank Langella did a phenomenal job portraying Tricky Dick.

Mickey Rourke's Lazarus-like resurrection continues and he's been nominated for The Wrestler. Again (Jesus, I'm fucking brutal at this - how have I gone to the cinema so much and missed so many of these flicks?!), I haven't seen it, but I heard he's only savage in it. Doubt they'll give him the win though, cause he'd probs get up on stage and tell the audience how they're a bunch of shallow, vacuous cunts. In an ideal world, wha'?!

Brad Pitt doesn't deserve one for Curious Case as the part could've been played by anyone with a pulse (and a few without). Anyway, enough shitein on - it's Penn.

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger. Even if Robert Downey Jnr had've brought peace to the Middle East he wouldn't get the award, simply - and you know it's true - because Ledger's dead. To be quite honest, he actually does deserve it - stole the show in The Dark Knight. I still haven't got the hang of the 'disappearing pencil' trick, and my social circle is getting smaller by the attempt.

Best Supporting Actress: I couldn't really give a shit. That's code for "I haven't seen any of the movies involving the Best Actress nominees"!! It woulda been deadly if Jane Lynch got one for Role Models though!!

Hope to fuck Slumdog Millionaire wins for both Best Picture and Best Director. It's nominated for so many categories that it can't lose I suppose. But honestly, if you're in with a shout for Best Picture and Best Director you wouldn't really give a fuck about Sound Editing.

Curious Case doesn't deserve a nomination for anything outside of Make Up or Special Effects, so why it got nominated for both the top two categories is beyond me. Frost/Nixon won't win them. Just won't.

I think - regardless of not having seen it - that Milk might because The Academy loves that whole rise-up-against-the-odds narrative with a passion; and Milk, from what I've read, conforms to it more than Slumdog.

No comments:

Post a Comment